Monday, January 27, 2014

A crowd pleaser: Quinoa Omelet Breakfast Cups

On my last project, I would bring a huge batch of these into work on Monday morning, and they would be gone by noon.  Those who flew in later missed out, and I got requests to bring more each week.  I adapted this recipe from a Vegan recipe I found on the internet at DAMY Health:  quinoa-omelette-breakfast-cups.



Quinoa Omelette Breakfast Cups
Prep time: 10 Minutes – Cook time: 40 Minutes – Total time: 50 Minutes.
Yield: 24 Mini Cups or 12 Regular Cups (+ 1 Ramekin)

I use Quinoa in 2-3 recipes each week, so I like to cook a large batch of it in the rice cooker at the start of the week.





I quickly assemble the other ingredients which I have altered over time to just the perfect combination of deliciousness, and toss them all into a bowl together!

Once I have the quinoa, diced assorted bell peppers, red onions, egg whites whipped with 2 eggs, pancetta, salt and pepper combined, I stir it well and spoon into the muffin pan.














Ingredients:
  • 2 Cups Cooked and Cooled Quinoa
  • 1 Cup Egg Whites
  • 2 Whole Eggs
  • 1 Cup Mixed Bell Peppers
  • 1 Cup Diced Onions
  • 1 Cup Diced Pancetta (I love to buy the diced Pancetta from Trader Joe's)
  • 1/2 Cup Reduced fat Mexican Cheese Blend
  • 1/4 Tsp Garlic Salt or Himalayan Sea Salt
  • Pepper 
Directions:

  1. Pre-heat your oven to 350 F.
  2. Place eggs and egg whites in a bowl and whisk until blended.
  3. Stir in veggies, meat, spices, cheese and quinoa (all other ingredients).
  4. Spray your muffin tin with a healthy, non-stick cooking spray.
  5. Scoop quinoa omelette mixture evenly into muffin tins.
  6. Place in the oven and bake for 40 minutes.
  7. I had left-over mixture so I took a ramekin, filled it up with the rest and baked it alongside the muffins. It was the perfect breakfast to reheat for the next day.
  8. Remove from oven and let completely cool in muffin tin.
  9. Using a knife release the edges of the omelette cups and remove.
  10. Serve and enjoy!
Breakfast Cups in my mini scone pan



I find the edges turn out a bit cripsier in a traditional muffin pan, which I enjoy, but the triangle shapes from the mini scone pan are rather pleasing to the eye.


Visit my team on Facebook for more nutrition, fitness and healthy living tips.

AltweinFitness

Wellness Warriors









No comments:

Post a Comment