Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Chicken Avocado Salad - it's what's to snack on!

Whenever I am craving a delicious and healthy snack, I whip up a batch of my tasty chicken avocado salad with lime and cilantro. Adding healthy ingredients and more protein to your diet is easy with this recipe. 

 I never knew I was a fan of a cold chicken salad until I made this dish for the first time.  I love all the ingredients so it's natural I would love them together as well.  It's great to keep on hand in the refrigerator, and any time you want a quick bite or nibble, this is the perfect go-to snack.



It's so delicious, and so simple!
boneless chicken breasts

Chicken and Avocado Salad with Lime and Cilantro

2 or 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 avocado
1/4 chopped onion
juice of a full lime
2 Tbsp cilantro
salt and pepper, to taste

Red Onion




Cook chicken breast until done, let cool, and then shred. Mix with all other ingredients!

I usually use red onions, but sometimes I will mix red and white, basically use whatever you have on hand. 


Limes




Go ahead and ask why I have a cutting board in the shape of a cat.  Frankly, I don't know, but it was just the right size to showcase this perfect lime.  I pilfered this lime from a friend's overflowing fruit bowl, since her lime tree was producing and mine isn't right now.  Why do I always have spare lemons when i need limes, and spare limes when I need lemons?  This is akin to the missing sock in the dryer dilemma.

Tucker orchard avocados




The most challenging part of the recipe is finding ripe avocados that are ripe when you need them.  My bounty of avocados comes from my parents backyard tree (affectionately known as the Tucker Orchard), however the home-grown avocados have a much longer ripen period than the Haas avocados from the grocery store. 


Cilantro



And of course nothing can take the place of Cilantro!  I put it in so many of my recipes.

Hope you will try this easy recipe and let me know how you like it.


3 comments:

  1. Yum! Do the avocados need to be guacamole ready or softer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soft enough to cut and remove the seed, slightly firmer than guacamole but not much! The one I tried to slice yesterday resisted the knife.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Pinned it so I can easily find it again! Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete